Sunday, October 9, 2011

The World Is... Flat?

I recently watched a lecture by Thomas Friedman about the world being flat. I have a mixed feeling about the world being flat. Educationally, I think that it is really exciting. It's mind-boggling to think about the opportunities we now have with education; however, it is a little bit frightening to think about what it could do to our economy. With the possibility of outsourcing American jobs our economy is only bound to worsen.


Educationally, the possibilities are endless. Our students can learn about other cultures through face time with students from different countries, students can work collaboratively on projects with students across the nation or across the world, and students can be better prepared for outsourcing in the workforce. 

Economically, this could take a turn for the worst for the United States. Outsourcing is very beneficial for large corporations because they can now find cheaper labor overseas. Considering our current economic status I don't think we can afford to outsource all of our jobs. What is neat, though, is that we have the possibility to outsource. But, does that mean we should?

The world being flat is definitely affecting me. Like is stated above, the possibilities for education are endless, but we should be careful not to take it too far. Learning about the world being flat gets me excited to teach more than anything.  It's new advancements and talk of opportunity such as this that make me certain that teaching is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment